Tuesday 5 April 2011

On the Painting Table

Some of you may be aware that I had a hospital visit recently, and as a result I have been off work for a couple of weeks. Now condition allowing....ouch! I tried to utilise my time to good effect by catching up on my modelling, and eating into the mountain of lead (and plastic!) that we wargamers seem to amass.
 First up is my on going Kadesh project. I have been working on these off and on for a couple of years now, but set myself the task of completing in time for the Kelmarsh show in the summer. All my miniatures are from Newline Design, who I must say are an excellent company. As I said I have been working on this project for a couple of years, so when I open a bag containing a unit of charriots, and find some components missing, you may think too much time may have elapsed for the chance to recieve replacements. Not so with Newline, a quick email, and you get the correct component by return of post. An excellent service, and I highly recommend them.
So to my models. I decided to concentrate on the Charriot units first. Note that I have not detailed the bases yet, as I wish to do the whole lot in one go to make sure the colour matches.
Egyptian charriots. fast and nimble machines, 2 man crews armed with bows and personal arms.

Hittite heavy charriot. This model depicts a 3 man crew, although historians are in two camps on this. Many believe the third man is a charriot runner, just hitching a lift, much as in modern times troops ride on the back of tanks to get to the combat area. This does give the charriot immediate infantry support. However it is indesputable that the Hittite machine is a sturdier combat vehicle than the Egyptian, and so classes as Heavy Charriot.

Close up of the Hittite charriot squadron, these troops armed with javelins and spears,designed for impact and mele rather than the quick strike from range of the Egyptians.
And also some Hittite archers. note that I used a black undercoat on the Charriots, but as these guys are mostly flesh, I elected to use the ArmyPainter flesh undercoat as this is a quicker method. With the usual inking, the flesh tone is more an olive southern european hue. In line with these Anatolians ancestry. The Egyptians too would have been of an olive skin tone, with some Nubians inter mixed. try to avoid a bright caulcasian flesh for either army.

Now on a few thousand years, I decided to make some headway on my plastic 28mm Napoleonic army. Yes my chum James from the club has produced some lovely British naps, so I have been shamed in to catching up!

Firstly my Perrys French Napoleonic infantry. To be fair I had done 90% of these so a bit of detailing and inking was all that was needed to finish off. I am very pleased with these, and all that is left is the basing.
 As often happens when you finish a unit, the result can of itself inspire you to continue to the next. I decided to have a go with my HaT Industrie Light Infantry Voltigeur. Now many of you will be aware of the great Perry figures, or Victorix, but not many will give a look at HaT. I would urge you to look again. The price is very reasonable, and the results are very reasonable too.

I had to convet a drummer and an Eagle bearer, using the drum from the Perry box, and an arm carrying an Eagle from the Victorix box. Yes I know the Lights should by rights have a French Horn, but I have read evidence that they didn't like them, and soon found themselves with thier old drums again.
Yes in the back ground you may also see the Victorix Colonel, also painted up.

I have a 3rd unit, Victorix this time, also on the table at present. I must say I wish I had purchased the Perry boxes in bulk rather than the Victorix, as the construction is a chore with the Victorix. The simplest is the HaT. just attatch the back pack! I will try the Light infantry vesion from Hat next, especially as they seem to be producing them with the wargamer in mind now. As there is the march column set, and command set available, amongst other temptations such as Bavarians, Prussians or even the El Cid range. They also have lots in the pipe line too...I am converted!
How about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment