Wednesday 5 February 2014

With your shield or on it!

Another great game at club. This time an outing for my new(ish) Greek Hoplites, against my good mate Derek's Greeks. We are using Hail Caesar rules recently, and this is my second game.

My heros form up, 4 phalanx, one of which is the obligatory Spartans, with 2 small slinger units,and a small javelin arms unit of Helots.Plus Derek loaned me 2 small units of Light cav

 

First things first, I sent my cav to the high ground on my left to try and lure Derek's cav away from the main action, in the distance, you see Derek's initial deployment. For Derek's initial move, he sent his light archers, and slingers forward, and a small unit of Java armed hill tribesmen made their way forward on the opposite high ground.

In my move I tried to counter the light troops advance with my own, with limited success, only the Helots did much, by moving to the hills to counter Derek's tribesmen.

Meanwhile the cavalry busied themselves chucking pointy sticks at one another, scoring a few hits

Some of Derek's Lights joined in on this action on my left, causing a unit of cav to be disordered.

 

After a turn or two of this light inf and cav activity, my Spartans, ably led by my CinC ( or pushed, their order dice were dreadfull) charged forward, forcing Derek's archers to flee.

They did in the next turn attack one of Derek's phalanx, causing it to retire,but the turn after he charged them in the flank with another phalanx, as we see in this pic.

Meanwhile, the cavalry were getting the worst of it, but only marginally, and my last battered unit retired to the rear, glowering at their opponents from a distance!

 

Soon I managed a few good die rolls to get the other flank moving, and a phalanx scrummage ensued against Derek's elite unit, my Spartans,on the other flank holding their own but just, due to the elite stubborn re roll " we Are SPARTANS" effect!,

My left flank advances......

Derek's lads await the slaughter, his CinC out in front. What a hero!

 

The meat grinder continues, but Derek's elites are not as fortunate with the dice as are my own " SPARTANS" yes a lot of that was said in best Gerrard Butler accents!!

Both Derek's units, his elites, and the unit attacking my Spartans, now under a lot of support from units coming up, broke. And as the time was nearly upon us to leave, Derek duly conceded.

A shot of the victorious commander, yes he is the Jason figure from Salute!!

A great game

 

No comments:

Post a Comment